RE: MEPs: Hardcoded or not? (was: Re: Minutes of teleconference02-05-23)

I agree with Jacek that SOAP MEPs are
different from WSDL "MEPs".

But I do not think calling the WSDL patterns
"MEPs" contributes to clean boundaries
between web service description layers.

Consider the "RequestResponse" label used in WSDL
to refer to a single-connection, synchronous,
half-duplex ("one-side-reads-and-waits-to-write-until
other-is-done-writing").
This XML messaging pattern does not correctly
capture what is semantically essential
to the RequestResponse MEP.
Instead, it includes accidental features of
one flavor of "binding." A RequestResponse MEP can
just as well make use of two TCP
connections, sequenced so that
one follows the other, with only
one input defined on each node, and
each with a URL for connecting. RequestResponse
can be done either way, so why confuse
the audience by suggesting that
the WSDL operation with an input,
output, and fault _is_ RequestResponse?

To avoid related confusions, I support
deprecating the "Notification", "One-Way"
"SolicitResponse" and "RequestResponse"
terminology, which drags the [MEP|choreography|flow|fsa|etc]
layer just inside WSDL. The definitions of types, messages,parts,
operations, port-types, etc form a clump of functionality.
Adding the other operation group labels
might have had some initial
heuristic value, but now should be handled
in greater depth elsewhere.

[BTW, I also don't think the SOAP group
should necessarily be the one that
takes on the MEP analysis problem. MEPs
involving concepts like forks, joins,
guard conditions, and so on--it
should be dealt with by some other group.
Maybe the architecture group first.]