Re: proposed issue: Support for non-named-operation oriented portTypes

Hi Sanjiva,
I wish I felt I was reading too much into the meaning of <operation>, but
do not. Clearly the spec indicates "Operation? an abstract description of
an action supported by the service.", and there are many wide spread
perceptions that it is intended to represent intentionality. Take the
thread/issue in this forum " Issue: should WSDL allow overloaded methods?"
-I don't even know what a "method" actually is in WSDL, but the discussion
refers to WSDL Operations. Beyond this, the spec does also refers to the 4
primitives as "operations" (which I would suggest we call 'interactions').

That said, make no mistake that I agree with you on the primary purpose of
<operation> at the abstraction level to allow reference from the
realization (concrete binding) layer to the associated <message>s.

However, I hold there is significant misconception and needed clarity on
this at a minimum, but more is needed. Consider a vertical consortium which
has no intention to formally standardize the realization layer and are
faced with defining <operation name=>s while reading WSDL 1.1. I assert
that it is far from clear that the primary purpose is to provide reference
targets that could be used in bindings.

I think we need an issue on this, if at this point it is clarification
only, but ultimately we need to support portTypes that clearly have no
action semantics in the abstract layer (not the case yet in my mind).

thanks,

Scott
______________
Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-415-8490)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

                      "Sanjiva
                      Weerawarana"             To:       Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                      <sanjiva@watson.i        cc:       <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
                      bm.com>                  Subject:  Re: proposed issue: Support for non-named-operation oriented portTypes

                      05/21/2002 03:52
                      PM

Hi Scott,

I think you're reading too much into the operation "name." In
WSDL 1.1, while you're required to provide a name at the time
of defining the portType, there is NO requirement that that
translate into something on the wire. In particular, I believe
for doc/lit style bindings the operation name simply does not
apply.

The name exists primarily to allow bindings to refer to specific
operations so that binding information may be given. Without a
name, there's no way to refer to a particular operation.

Bye,

Sanjiva.