Re: issue: optional parts in <message>?

From: Prasad Yendluri <pyendluri@webmethods.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 14:51:53 -0700
To: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>
CC: "WS-Desc WG (Public)" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Jeffrey Schlimmer wrote:

> XML Schema provides a rich, well-understood language for expressing
> choices, sequences, optional, repeated, etc. constructs. It does not
> seem like a good use of the WG time to re-invent such a mechanism.

I don't believe it is re-inventing the entire mechanism. The spec allows
multiple parts in a message for a reason (when this can be captured by the
schema as well) these represent abstract parts coming from potentially
different type-systmes and some perhaps well established schemas (e.g. a OAG
BOG). The addition being called for is marking the parts optional at the
message level.

> Are there any interesting arguments against removing the message element
> and making the operation within a port type point directly to an XML
> Schema global element declaration?

That would amount to doing away with the abstract types and other type
systems and settling only on XMLSchema?