From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:21:57 -0500
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org, www-ws-arch@w3.org
Here is a new draft of definitions, incorporating a number of people's
suggestions and concerns.  I am cross posting this to both the WS-Arch WG
and the WS-Desc WG because it is clearly relevant to both groups.  Again,
please comment.

Non-Normative Definitions

Web Service
"A web service is is a software application or component that can be
accessed over the Internet using a vendor/platform/language-neutral data
interchange format to invoke the service and supply the response, using a
rigorously defined message exchange pattern, and producing a result that is
sufficiently well-defined to be processed by a software application." [1]

[The above definition was lifted verbatim from a WS Arch WG draft.[1]  Note
that this definition does not specifically mention "URI" or "XML".  If the
definition of "Web Service" does not specifically mention URI or XML, then
I would suggest that we specifically mention "URI" and "XML" elsewhere in
our requirements, if desired.  -- David Booth]

Software that makes use of a Web Service, acting as its "user" or "customer".

Normative Definitions

The basic unit of communication between a Web Service and a Client: data to
be communicated to or from a Web Service as a single logical transmission.

A set of messages related to a single Web Service action.

Interface (a/k/a "Port Type")
A logical grouping of operations.   An Interface represents an
abstract  Service type, independent of transmission protocol and data format.

An association between an Interface, a concrete protocol and a data
format.  A Binding specifies the protocol and data format to be used in
transmitting messages defined by the associated Interface.

An association between a Binding and a network address, specified by a URI,
that may be used to communicate with an instance of a Service.  A Port
indicates a specific location for accessing a Service using a specific
protocol and data format.

A collection of Ports.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/wd-wsawg-reqs-03042002

David Booth