Re: Draft of Definitions

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:18:15 +0100
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
CC: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>, Keith Ballinger <KeithBa@msn.com>, www-ws-desc@w3.org
The current Web Service definition[1] from the WSA WG does not mention XML (or URIs).
This definition was adopted before David Orchard raised two issues about XML[3] and
URIs.

     "A web service is is a software application or component that can be
     accessed over the Internet using a vendor/platform/language-neutral data
     interchange format to invoke the service and supply the response, using a
     rigorously defined message exchange pattern, and producing a result that is
     sufficiently well-defined to be processed by a software application."

A more Web-centric definition[2] has been proposed by Krishna Sankar recently:

     "A web service is a software application identified by a URI, whose
     interfaces and binding are capable of being defined, described & discovered
     by XML artifacts and supports direct interactions with other software
     applications using XML based messages via internet-based protocols"

Jean-Jacques.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/wd-wsawg-reqs-03042002#IDAIF0RB
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0071.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0054.html