RE: Draft of Definitions

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne@manes.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:22:17 -0500
To: "Keith Ballinger" <keithba@microsoft.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Overall comments:

One thing that I see missing from these definitions is the sense that messages, operations, and operation sets are abstract -- collectively they define an abstract service type. Bindings map an abstract service type to concrete protocols (a service type), and a port maps a binding to a specific instance of the service type.

Comments on Keith's edits:

- A message does not necessarily contain only application-specific data. Header information often doesn't contain application data, and yet headers are defined as messages.

- An operation does not necessarily have an input message. A notification has only an output message.

- A port maps a binding to an endpoint of an _instance_ of the service type.

- A service is a logical grouping of ports, not bindings.

Best regards,

Anne Thomas Manes
CTO, Systinet
www.systinet.com