Re: Proposal to Resolve encodingStyle Issues #5 and #30

From: <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:01:13 -0400
To: "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Cc: ruellan@crf.canon.fr, www-ws-desc@w3.org, www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

Accordingly to http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/ the encodingStyle
attribute can occur on any child element of a header, body, or detail.
Therefore 3.2 allows you to describe the message more faithfully.

Is the freedom to allow multiple encoding styles within a single message
useful, or is it as useless as allowing a list of encodingStyle URIs was?
FYI, I have created messages that combine literal and SOAP encoding in a
single message, but they don't interoperate with .NET. Therefore I wonder
if in the quest for interop the industry will settle on using a single
encoding style within a message.

Arthur Ryman

                    Moreau"                To:     Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                    <moreau@crf.cano       cc:     www-ws-desc@w3.org, ruellan@crf.canon.fr
                    n.fr>                  Subject:     Re: Proposal to Resolve encodingStyle Issues #5 and #30
                    Sent by:
                    06/27/2002 05:03
                    Please respond
                    to "Jean-Jacques

I agree with restricting the value of encodingStyle to be a single URI.
Multiple URIs are no longer supported by SOAP 1.2. Mutliple URIs were
by SOAP 1.1, but hardly ever used. (The perceived semantics of multiple
was unclear. The intended semantics was a list of overlapping, more-to-less
specific encoding styles.)

I think only option 3.2 is available, since SOAP 1.2 only allows the
encodingStyle AII on SOAP header blocks, SOAP body blocks and the SOAP
Detail element (and all their descendants).

Does this make sense?