Re: Rationale to close the operation overloading issue

From: <mario.jeckle@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:24:45 +0200
To: <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: <Jochen.Ruetschlin@daimlerchrysler.com>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi David,

>>getAddress(name, surname)
>These are clearly three different functions with three different

Clearly? From my point of view the three operations mentioned
above differ only by their signature not their semantics.

The semantics itself is IMHO expressed by the name of the
operation. A getAddress operation remains pretty the same from the
user's perspective even if some parameters differ.

I would really plead not to illegally synonymize the notion of
signature found in some, not all, programming languages with the
notion of semantics in general.

just my 2 cents ...