Re: Rationale to close the operation overloading issue

From: <mario.jeckle@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:24:45 +0200
To: <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: <Jochen.Ruetschlin@daimlerchrysler.com>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi David,

>>getAddress(socialNo)
>>getAddress(name, surname)
>>getAddress(login)
>These are clearly three different functions with three different
>semantics.

Clearly? From my point of view the three operations mentioned
above differ only by their signature not their semantics.

The semantics itself is IMHO expressed by the name of the
operation. A getAddress operation remains pretty the same from the
user's perspective even if some parameters differ.

I would really plead not to illegally synonymize the notion of
signature found in some, not all, programming languages with the
notion of semantics in general.

just my 2 cents ...
 Mario