RE: proposal for resolving service type issues

From: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:30:07 -0700
To: "WS-Desc WG (Public)" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com] wrote:
>The problem is that doing that allows different <service> elements
>to implement different service types. I'd rather require that a
>single ("complete") WSDL doc implements one serviceType. That makes
>tooling a lot easier (given a single WSDL u always generate one thing)
>and also clarifies the role of WSDL as being a language for describing
>a single service rather than just a bag of services that share a common
>TNS.

In WSDL 1.1, the document EII is just a container, without a target
namespace; similar to XML Schema, this allows various permutations of
"partial" WSDL files imported into others and simplifies deployment.
Restricting a WSDL document to at most 1 service feels somewhat
arbitrary.

The suggestion that such a restriction could simplify tools that
generate code from WSDL is not particularly compelling; such tools could
easily generate a "stub" for each service EII encountered.