RE: Hoisting SOAP Binding Attributes

From: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:05:15 -0700
To: "Roberto Chinnici" <roberto.chinnici@sun.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Sounds reasonable. --Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberto Chinnici [mailto:roberto.chinnici@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:48 AM
To: Jeffrey Schlimmer
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Re: Hoisting SOAP Binding Attributes

I like the idea of being able to specify defaults for these common

My main remak is that allowing these attributes to be specified on every
element under <soap:binding/> seems to be overkill.

Since it's hard for people to track the current value of an attribute
that may
change as they move from a parent element to a child as well as from an
element to a sibling, I suspect that most people would end up using this
facility only for coarse-grained defaulting of values.

As a proof of this, look at how namespace declarations are used in XML
and especially at how hard it can be to follow the prefix-to-namespace
associations when the same prefix is bound to different namespaces at
various points in a document.

So my proposal is to follow roughly the approach used by XML Schema
and define attributes called
that would be allowed only on the <soap:binding/> attribute.

Then, e.g. a missing "use" attribute on any element under
would default to the value of the "useDefault" attribute on the
element only (if present).

This way the information that someone reading WSDL would need to
keep in mind when examining a <soap:binding/> would simply be the value
of the four default attributes and those wouldn't change with the level
nesting under <soap:binding/>.

In the examples you used, the two proposals would be entirely
Here's what the bindings would look like with the xyzDefault attributes:

<binding name="StockQuoteSoapBinding"
  <soap:binding transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"
      namespaceDefault="http://example.com/stockquote" />

<binding name="StockQuoteSoapBinding"