From: Jacek Kopecky [mailto:jacek@systinet.com]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 6:08 AM
To: Liu, Kevin
Subject: RE: Issue 51: Should soap:header@part be nmtokens?

(this message proposes a reformulation of issue 51)

 Kevin,
 parts of messages are not reused because they just simply
specify a type or element - the type and element definitions can
be reused. So your 2 cannot be done and it's not a bug, it's a
feature.

 As for header/@parts, the difference between the Body and a
Header is that the Body may contain multiple XML elements, while
a header IS AN XML element. What you are asking for may be a
facility to specify groups of headers, but I personally don't
think this is necessary - it doesn't make sense to group headers
which will not be grouped in the actual messages anyway.

<kevin>

I am not that familiar with SOAP, but I think you are right. Given the fact that each header block may have different value for "role" and "mustUnderstand", it doesn't make sense to specify a list of parts as header blocks.

This remind me some related issues: current soap:header does NOT have construct to express role, and mustUnderstand (see the following example from soap 1.2 primer, seems current soap:header can not express it).   Have these issues already been raised before?

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope">
 <env:Header>
  <m:reservation xmlns:m="http://travelcompany.example.org/reservation"
          env:role="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/role/next"
           env:mustUnderstand="true">
   <m:reference>uuid:093a2da1-q345-739r-ba5d-pqff98fe8j7d</m:reference>
   <m:dateAndTime>2001-11-29T13:20:00.000-05:00</m:dateAndTime>
  </m:reservation>
  <n:passenger xmlns:n="http://mycompany.example.com/employees"
          env:role="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope/role/next"
           env:mustUnderstand="true">