Re: WSDL Requirements question

Ryan,

It is correct that using DAML-S, the WSDL "type" can be extended to
arbitrary DAML-S classes.  This is part of the purpose of the DAML-S
grounding.  Some of this was described in a paper by the DAML-S
Service Coalition that appeared at ISWC2002 (The International
Semantic Web Conference).  A new release of DAML-S is slated for
release at the beginning of August that will contain this grounding.

Please see
    http://www.daml.org/services
for DAML-S papers and release information.

Regards,

Sheila McIlraith

> From www-ws-request@w3.org Wed Jul 17 08:38:39 2002
> From: mrbannon@swen.uwaterloo.ca
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:36:04 -0400
> To: www-ws-desc@w3.org, www-ws@w3.org
> Subject: WSDL Requirements question
>

> Hello,
>
> Firstly, this message has been sent to both www-ws-desc and www-ws
> mailing lists.
>
> The following is taken from the WSDL requirements doc.
>
> "R085 The description language SHOULD allow describing Messages that
> include references (URIs) to strongly-typed referents, both values
> and Services. (From PP. Last discussed 11 April, 2002.)"
>
> I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.  In
> effect, WSDL allows for defining types (via the "type" description
> or within the "message" description) that are referred to using
> namespaces.  For example, a "type" definition may refer to a DAML-S
> class, which is based on RDF.  The WSDL file and WSDL parser
> (ideally) should be able to follow back to the DAML-S description of
> the type, correct?
>
> Forgive this simple question...I'm relatively new to using WSDL
> extensibility features.
>

> Thanks,
>
> ryan

Sheila McIlraith, PhD                 Phone: 650-723-7932
Senior Research Scientist             Fax:  650-725-5850
Knowledge Systems Lab
Department of Computer Science
Gates Sciences Building, 2A-248       http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/sam
Stanford University                   E-mail sam@ksl.stanford.edu