Re: Collected Requirements -- Addition: Operation Identification

From: Fred Carter <fcarter@edgility.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:10:26 -0800
To: jmarsh@microsoft.com, www-ws-desc@w3.org
Another requested addition that I don't believe has been fully
addressed.  If this exists in the current list, I must have missed it --
my apologies.

WSDL 1.1 defines services and operations and their bindings to various
protocols.  However, the details of how an operation is identified
(either generally or specifically in particular bindings) is, shall we
say, rather vague.  As a result, some implementations use the namespace
& element of the first child of Body (in SOAP RPC), others use
SOAPAction header (in SOAP over Http), others use only the namespace,
others the element name, others attempt to match the message type, etc.
 As a result, interoperability suffers.

It seems like a normative model (at least) for operation determination
is necessary for interoperability between clients and servers from
different vendors.  This may be a requirement to define such a
requirement for all defined bindings, as opposed to something that can
be completely spec'd in the description.  But I believe that such a
requirement exists.

--
Fred Carter
mailto:fred.carter@edgility.com