From: Prasad Yendluri [mailto:pyendluri@webmethods.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 4:32 PM
To: FABLET Youenn
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org; Sanjiva Weerawarana; Jean-Jacques Moreau
Subject: Re: Follow up on output ops + MEPs

Youenn,

This is very much on the right track IMHO.

I did not think they were two sides of the same operation, though the names
of the operations did throw me off a bit.  Thought they were describing
Event-In and Event-Out operations that actually receive and send out the
Event-notifications (messages) respectively, where as the intent seems to be
event-subscribe-in and event-subscribe-out type of operations.

Given scope for such confusion exists, it seems we would be better
positioned, if we move the details of these definitions from individual
operation level to common set of abstractions of "WSDL-Operation-Types".  I
mean, WSDL could define a number of these Operation-Types (identified by a
URI), each of which specifies the full details of the subject operation type
and the semantics of it. Then at the operation definition level, the
operation type is simply referenced say via an attribute ("type=URI") on the
operation, conveying the full nature of the operation as specified by the
operation-type definition. We might still need to spec certain things at the
input/output message level, as Don's has shown before but, at least all
common details are consolidated out..

This offers the level of optimization that is currently missing from the
binding level IMO, where things are repeated over and again.

BTW, since operation definitions (portTypes) are at the abstract level,
these types (and the dependent MEPs) need to be independent of a specific
binding protocol (e.g. SOAP).

I think Jacek correctly pointed earlier the subtle distinction between SOAP
MEPs and WSDL operation (message exchange) types..

Another point that I perhaps failed to make clearly during the call
yesterday was the need, not to assume the target for out-bound operations to
be another Web service and describe such operations (as) fully (as possible)
from the originating Web service's POV.

Regards, Prasad