RE: "Web service" or "web service"

From: Champion, Mike <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:31:49 -0700
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org

The WSA WG did a straw poll on our telcon yesterday and there was a 2:1
majority for "Web service."  Although obviously no one wants to "lay down in
the road" on such a non-critical issue, two fairly strong reasons emerged in
the discussion:

- In terms of grammar, "Web" should be capitalized because it is a proper
noun, i.e., it refers to the World Wide Web, and "service" is not.  (I guess
one could argue that "Web Service" is a compound proper noun, like United
States or whatever).

- In sheer pragmatic terms, at least two member companies (rather
substantial ones, to say the least) noted that they had standardized
internally on "Web service" and that there was a LOT of documentation,
marketing material, etc. that would in principle have to be revised at
substantial cost to be consistent with a different convention.

Very deep sigh :-)