RE: Open Content Model

In re-reading WSDL 1.1 more carefully, I think I've been using
wsdl:required incorrectly as a synonym for mustUnderstand.  (Replace
mustUnderstand for wsdl:required in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Apr/0150.html, for
instance.)

WSDL 1.1 implies that wsdl:required is only defined on extension
elements which describe bindings, and affects the semantics of those
bindings.  This sounds a lot different than mustUnderstand, which is
used to mark behavior-changing language extensions.

For the purposes of the extensibility/open content model discussion,
mustUnderstand seems the more relevant concept.  SOAP provides for such
a marker (soap:mustUnderstand) PLUS it details a processing model which
uses this marker.  Similarly, XSLT provides a marker
(extension-element-prefixes) and a processing model which uses the
marker.

If we allow behavior-modifying extensions to WSDL, a mustUnderstand
mechanism is a good way to increase interoperability because it only
allows processors to have two outcomes - a result as specified in WSDL
and all the required extensions, or an error.

Perhaps we should add clarification of wsdl:required separately to our
issues list.

wsdl:mustUnderstand,