Suggested integration requirement

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:23:13 -0400
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Hi,

Related to your R012, but not spelled out exactly, is a requirement that
I believe needs some consideration.

A typical REST based use of Web services involves navigation of the Web
information space with GET, followed by POST to make changes to that
information space.  In the HTML based Web, it is a Good Thing that HTML
permits forms to exist within the HTML body rather than requiring that
they be a separate document type (like frames).  This is because network
round trips take time, so it's always a good idea to send the
description of the service accepting the POST (the HTML form, or a WSDL
document) with the content that was returned with a GET.

As an example, Yahoo includes their search form on their main page so
that it's convenient, rather than requiring you to "select here to
visit our search page".  If they wanted to provide a WSDL service, it
would save a round trip if they could do the same thing by embedding
WSDL in HTML, or whatever markup languages they may be using.

So IMO, it should be considered as a requirement that WSDL should be
able to be easily integrated into other markup languages.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm not subscribed (I follow along in the archive), so please
include me explicitly in any responses if you want me to respond.

MB