Re: Clarification on proposed requirement

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:50:41 -0600
To: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
cc: eric@w3.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, www-ws-desc@w3.org
> Eric,
>
> The Web Services Description Working Group is seeking clarification on your
> proposed requirement related to RDF support:
>
> "[Draft, Should, Semantic Web] All conceptual elements in WSDL messages
> should be addressable by a URI reference. (Added 11 April, 2002.)"
>
> The group is concerned that this may require an ID attribute on every
> conceptual element, which may be onerous.  Would it be reasonable, for
> example, to reword this requirement as:
>
> "All conceptual elements in WSDL documents should be uniquely addressable."
>
> For example, would it be adequate to require the qnames to be unique?  Or
> are URIs specifically needed?

As an interested outsider, I prefer the wording you suggest, David.  I think
that requiring the name attributes of WSDL elements to be unique would be
sufficient.  I think it would be dangerous to fix on a particular system for
ensuring this, because, unfortunately, ID attributes are in a bit of
practical limbo these days.  Just making this a normative clause in the WSDL
spec should do the trick.

From my POV, the important thing is to allow a clean and clear mapping from
WSDL elements to RDF descriptions, and ensuring unique WSDL qnames would make
things a bit smoother, ID type or no.

--
Uche Ogbuji                   Principal Consultant     Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com   http://Fourthought.com   +1 720 320 2046