W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-cg@w3.org > September 2002

Minutes of the 3 September teleconference

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:06:01 +0200
To: www-ws-cg@w3.org
Message-ID: <20020920200600.GA818@w3.org>

... are available at:

	     http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/cg/2/09/03-minutes

Text version follows.

Regards,

Hugo

  --------------------------------------------------------------------


                        IRC log of ws-cg on 2002-09-03

   Present: Jonathan Marsh, Dave Hollander, Eric Miller, David Fallside,
   Hugo Haas (joined at 1.15pm EDT)

   [em]
          agenda -
          [1]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-cg/2002Aug/0000.h
          tml
          scribe - collaborative effort agreed in IRC

   [DavidF]
          ACTION: Hugo to follow-up on MEP document and most likely open
          a WSAWG issue about it [2]
          recorded in [2]http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-08-53
          ACTION: MC to inform XML CG that WS may have reqs re.
          processing and call for reqs should include WS WGs [changed
          owner] [3]
          recorded in [3]http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-09-03
          ACTION: MC and JM to continue trying to find venue for f2f, and
          figure out whether or not to have an overlap day [4]
          recorded in [4]http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-09-08
          ACTION: DF to contact Kelvin L and JM to contact Chris Kaler
          re. potential future liason and to ask them when [7]
          recorded in [5]http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-26-33
          ACTION: DF to ask DaveH whether he is willing to take on XML CG
          co-ord role (in which case we will not ask Jonathan to take
          over in Sept) [8]
          recorded in [6]http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-49-43

   [DavidF]
          ACTION 1= Hugo to follow-up on MEP document and most likely
          open a WSAWG issue about it

   [Marsh]
          ACTION 1= Hugo (or Dave) to follow-up on MEP document and most
          likely open a WSAWG issue about it

   [DavidF]
          klawrenc@us.ibm.com
          ACTION 4, closed

   [Marsh]
          ACTION: JM to ask Kelvin and Chris to attend next time, to
          report on W3C-OASIS meeting, first WS-Security FTF, and any
          thoughts on liasons.

   [DavidF]
          ckaler@microsoft.com
          ACTION- 4

   [Marsh]
          Zakim, P2 is Hugo

   [DavidF]
          ACTION- 5

   [Zakim]
          sorry, Marsh, I do not recognize a party named 'P2'

   [DavidF]
          discussion of agenda item #5 ....

   [Marsh]
          Dave: There has been a proposal for a choreography charter on
          the Arch mailing list.
          Dave: Arch is responsible for advising on the scope of the
          work.
          Dave: There is a sense of urgency to getting this group up and
          running, prior to the first draft of the architecture.
          Dave: We're having a ftf next week, and will bring the scope
          question to the floor, and whether the group will recommend to
          the CG that such a group be chartered.
          Dave: From a tech viewpoint, the only real issue is whether
          choreography is needed, RESTful archs don't need it. And
          there's a slide into Routing.
          Dave: Holder of this opinion will not hold it up.
          Dave: Belief that a wide-open charter is best, starting with
          partitioning the space.
          DavidF: Partitioning technology or WGs?
          Dave: technology

   [em]
          DavidF: if i understand you correctly... the suggestion is to
          provide a open charter and make one of the first deliverables
          to help define the partion of the work?

   [DavidF]
          [7]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2002Aug/0054
          .html
          is the URL for the proposed charter, and the beginning of a
          thread

   Note from the scribe: a [8]public version of the proposal is available
   at http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/09/chor-proposal.html.

   [Marsh]
          Eric: Concerned about open charters in general. Groups can
          twist charters, makes delivering deliverables on time
          difficult.

   [DavidF]
          EM concerned about giving WGs open charters

   [Marsh]
          Eric: How does this fit into the Architecture?
          DavidF: Why would an Arch group give an open charter (implying
          Arch work) to another WG?
          Dave: Strong sense of urgency to make timely response to the
          choreography work because there's so much out there.

   [em]
          DavidF: wouldnt it simpley be quicker for the ws-arch to define
          a task force to identify a choreagraphy architecture?

   [DavidF]
          DH: no 'cos the appropriate experts not involved

   [em]
          Dave: No, the Choreography experts are not part of this ws-arch
          group and the group (or 12? on the call) thought it would be
          simpler and faster to charter another group

   [Marsh]
          Eric: How does this relate to WSDL? Implied functional
          requirements...
          Eric: Is this work focussed on WSCI? Bringing it together with
          other work in the space?

   [em]
          proposed Choreography Working charter ->
          [9]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2002Aug/att-
          0054/01-part

   [DavidF]
          DF asks group for their opinions re. the proposed open-ended
          charter ....
          JM concerned that it is the wrong appraoch and exists for
          political reasons
          DH agrees (?)
          DF infers there is a belief in WS Arch that giving a WG some
          leeway could result in a faster process
          DH Notes the proposed charter is no "looser" than was XML
          Schema
          s/Notes/notes/

   [HugoH]
          JM: It is too early for starting this work. The WSAWG should
          investigate the choreography area more: it has not enough
          traction in the industry.
          HH: The WSAWG should discuss the scope of the proposed work and
          see if they agree that such work can be started in parallel
          with the Architecture work.

   [DavidF]
          ACTION: DH & MC to report on charter progress from WS ARch f2f
          mtg

   [Zakim]
          WS_WSCG()1:00PM has ended

   [DavidF]
          rrsagent, bye

   [RRSAgent]
          I see 5 open action items:
          ACTION: Hugo (or Dave) to follow-up on MEP document and most
          likely open a WSAWG issue about it [1]
          recorded in
          [10]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-20
          ACTION: MC to inform XML CG that WS may have reqs re.
          processing and call for reqs should include WS WGs [changed
          owner] [3] [2]
          recorded in
          [11]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-32
          ACTION: MC and JM to continue trying to find venue for f2f, and
          figure out whether or not to have an overlap day [4] [3]
          recorded in
          [12]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-40
          ACTION: JM to ask Kelvin and Chris to attend next time, to
          report on W3C-OASIS meeting, first WS-Security FTF, and any
          thoughts on liasons. [6]
          recorded in
          [13]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-17-50
          ACTION: DH & MC to report on charter progress from WS ARch f2f
          mtg [7]
          recorded in
          [14]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T18-03-44

References

   1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-cg/2002Aug/0000.html
   2. http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-08-53
   3. http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-09-03
   4. http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-09-08
   5. http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-26-33
   6. http://www.w3.org/2002/07/23-ws-cg-irc#T17-49-43
   7. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2002Aug/0054.html
   8. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/09/chor-proposal.html
   9. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2002Aug/att-0054/01-part
  10. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-20
  11. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-32
  12. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-07-40
  13. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T17-17-50
  14. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/03-ws-cg-irc#T18-03-44
-- 
Hugo Haas - W3C
mailto:hugo@w3.org - http://www.w3.org/People/Hugo/
Received on Friday, 20 September 2002 16:06:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 + w3c-0.30 : Monday, 21 November 2005 18:07:22 GMT