Re: XMLP WG Issue 240 Resolution

While I am quite glad to see the presence of AC020 in the
web services architecture requirements document, I have
two concerns:

1) We understood the XMLP requirement to mean that specific
mechanisms would be specified, while the working group
has instead intepreted it to mean simply to create a spec
which would make it possible for someone else to specify
specific mechanisms. Since AC020 uses the term "enable"
I fear that this requirement may be interpreted in a similar
way, and it might be argued that the requirement has already
been met since nothing in the proposed architecture
prevents mechanisms from being built to do these things -- there
for it enables privacy protection. Therefore, I would like to see
a requirement that actually mandates that a working group
create something rather than just develop an architecture
absent of obstacles to the future creation of something.

2) I am concerned about your statement "the Web
Services Architecture Working Group will tackle the problem, or at
least place some requirements on a Working Group which will craft a
concrete solution to it." I think that it is important that privacy
get built into web services sooner than later. Privacy protection
can be relatively easy to build into systems when it is built
in from the beginning, while retrofitting systems later tends
to make it more expensive. Since web services technology
is already being deployed, we need to get privacy built into
it as soon as possible. We need someone to take on this
task in the short term, and not leave open the possibility
that a working group will think about this for a while and then
delegate it to another working group.

Lorrie