From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Baker
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 1:10 PM
To: David Orchard
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: Requesting WSDL Files

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:22:58AM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> I strongly disagree that normatively specifying a convention for
> client-side construction of URIs is any ways not restful.

Me too.

> > It certainly uses a uniform method (GET), which is great.  But as I
> > tried to describe below, having a convention whereby one needs to
> > append "?wsdl" to a Web service URI is not RESTful since it doesn't
> > respect the "hypermedia as the engine of application state"
> > constraint.

By "convention" I specifically meant the "?wsdl" bit, not a framework
with which "?wsdl" could be constructed (which I believe is RESTful,
since I've designed one[1] for automata).  So even if there was a
WS-spec which instructed clients to append '?wsdl' to a Web service URI
to yield a URI identifying the WSDL, that wouldn't be RESTful. Consider,
for example, that Google wouldn't be able to find those WSDL documents,
since it doesn't know of that convention.

 [1] http://www.markbaker.ca/2003/05/RDF-Forms/

Mark.

  Seeking work on large scale application/data integration projects
  and/or the enabling infrastructure for same.