RE: Requesting WSDL Files

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 00:52:06 +0100
To: "Anne Thomas Manes" <anne@manes.net>, <jsled@asynchronous.org>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> <atm> It is. But Savas was suggesting an even simpler convention (no
> parameter). Unfortunately, Savas's suggestion is incompatible with the
> 1.2 WebMethod feature. </atm>

Yup. In light of the SOAP 1.2 WebMethod feature for the HTTP binding
that I was not aware of, I agree that the ?* suffix convention is the
better way if one was to use HTTP GET on a URL.

However, I still prefer the WS-MetadataExchange spec since it's a pure
SOAP-based approach and hence transport protocol-agnostic. I merely
suggested the "simple" HTTP GET approach as a possible alternative given
that Roger thought that WS-MetadataExchange is complex. However, that
won't work with SOAP 1.2 as Anne explained. I was wrong in my

In the architecture of Indigo, the focus is on the SOAP messages being
exchanged over arbitrary transport protocols. Hence the need to move
away from HTTP-only mechanisms!