Re: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:59:14 -0500
To: Mario Jeckle <mario@jeckle.de>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:15:02PM +0100, Mario Jeckle wrote:
> +1

Great, thanks.

> Although, REST may be sufficient for some Web Services it is not
> sufficient for all (consider intermediaries, header processing, etc.).

Really?  REST is *extremely* constraining regarding how header
processing is performed.  I can't imagine a more robust header
processing model than the one which REST suggests (i.e. a
self-descriptive one).  Don't confuse it with HTTP's model, which is
not RESTful in a handful of important ways.  In fact, SOAP's header
processing model is far more RESTful than HTTP's.

I believe intermediary support follows naturally from a solid processing
model (including headers) too, though I would say that further
constraints are necessary on top of REST to enable more flexible forms
of intermediary composition & routing.  See ARREST for some of those;

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/DecentralizingREST.pdf

Mark.