RE: Requester/provider agent/entity terminology

That sounds like a lot of work.  Lest it be thankless work -- thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David Booth
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 7:42 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: Francis McCabe
Subject: Requester/provider agent/entity terminology

I believe I've finished making our terminology consistent in our WSA
document[1].  Informally:
         provider agent -- the agent that realizes a Web service
         requester agent -- the agent that interacts with a provider
agent
         provider entity -- the person or org. owning the provider agent
         requester entity -- the person or org. owning the requester
agent

         service requester -- (ambiguous; to be avoided in this doc)
         service provider -- (ambiguous; to be avoided in this doc)

As a result, there were a MANY small changes I made along the way.  Most

weren't worth noting, but a few I wanted to mention:

Changed some occurrences of the word "entity" when it wasn't referring
our defined term "requester entity" or "provider entity".

Tweeked the concept description of "service" accordingly.

Deleted "A resource is an entity" from the concepts definition of
"resource", in order to avoid confusing it with our "person or
organization" use of the term "entity".  Since a resource can be
anything,
I think we can probably do without the statement.  Frank, do you want to

push back on this change, or are you okay with this?

The term "service" (as a noun) was used in two different ways: (a) to
refer
to a task ("X asked Y to perform a particular service"); or (b) to refer
the thing that performs the task ("X sent a message to Y's service").
I've
tried to changes uses of sense (a) to use "task" instead.

Added concept definitions of "requester entity" and "provider
entity".  They are a little meager.  Frank may want to fill them out
better, but I ran out of time tonight.

Whew!

1.
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/ws/arch/wsa/wd-wsa-arch-rev