Re: Web Services Architecture going forward (was Re: REST wrap-up )

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@zandar.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:50:52 -0000
To: "Michael Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

<snip/>
> - Finally, RESTifarians might want to produce
> specs/explanations/examples at the level of detail and quality of the
> WS-* specs if they want to be taken seriously be the industry.  (E.g.,
> how do do transactions, authentication, encryption negotiation,
> reliable messaging across multiple hops, etc. without SOAP).  How about
> you folks discussing how to make that happen, or pointing others to
> material that already exists?

Personally, I'd be interested to see more discussions/texts not only on how
things could be done without SOAP, but also on how and when web services can
be done RESTfully (at least mostly) while still using a SOAP (document body
+ headers) envelope as a means to pass messages,  irrespectively of whether
it travels within HTTP or over TCP/IP, etc. I don't think (sorry if I'm
wrong) that REST supporters strictly object to a SOAP envelope being used
per se; SOAP has its advantages and some applications might be difficult to
build according to REST guidelines. The question is how well this envelope
is integrated into the surrounding environment, what can be done to make it
friendlier toward it.
Thanks
Sergey Beryozkin