RE: Jini As a WebService

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne@manes.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:07:32 -0400
To: "'Zia-Ul-haq Farani'" <dc03zzf@brunel.ac.uk>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

A UDDI registry service is a Web service. It exposes a SOAP API that is
described by WSDL.

The Jini lookup service is not a Web service. It exposes a Java RMI API. If
you want to use Jini with Web services, you will need to build a Web service
wrapper that acts as a gateway between SOAP/WSDL and Java/RMI. In other
words, build a Web service that exposes the Jini lookup functionality using
SOAP/WSDL. When the gateway Web service receives a request, it transforms it
into a native Java RMI Jini request.

Anne