Re: Intermediary Text

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your time reviewing my comments. I essentially agree with
your response. Additional information below.

Jean-Jacques.

michael.mahan@nokia.com wrote:

> Jean-Jacques,
>
> Thanks for the comments. A few notes:
>
> - The intermediary text will be inserted at different points in the
> spec document. So the ordering of the text in the email was adhoc
> rather than intentional. Sorry for the confusion this caused - this
> should have been explicit in the intro..

OK; I'm sorry I hadn't realized this.

> - Your points about leading off the list of intermediaries with
> gateways, along with classifying gateways as intermediaries at all is
> well taken. I think either removing the text or saying what gateways
> are and what they are not is the correct action. Another comment on
> this towards the end.

OK.

> - I think that 'forwarding intermediary' is redundant. If a
> intermediary is not 'forwarding' the message, then it is by
> definition the ultimate receiver. Furthermore, 'active
> intermediaries' are a specialization of forwarding intemediaries,
> rather than being mutally independent. Thus I find that the
> qualification 'forwarding' is of low value. That said, I do realize
> the value of staying consistent with the 1.2 spec though.

Yes, this was my point, really. As a reader, I had the impression you
were describing intermediaries from a SOAP 1.2 perspective -although not
quite-, hence the importance of reusing existing terminology, even
though I agree it could be improved.

> - It seems that SOAP 1.2 active intermediaries may even act on the
> message body - not just 'untargeted' headers. However, my
> understanding may be erroneous, and is based on the text in the
> active intermediaries section:

Yes, you are right, an intermediary cannot act as an ultimateReceiver
(i.e. cannot process the SOAP body), but it can modify the SOAP body.
This is clearly stated in the resolution for Last Call issue 335 [1]
(had to dig that one out!).

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues.html#x335>

> "The potential set of services provided by an active SOAP
> intermediary includes, but is not limited to: security services,
> annotation services, and content manipulation services."
>
> For instance, if a SOAP processor encrpts a SOAP message body and
> relays the encrypted message to another processor, is it an active
> intermediary, or no longer an intermediary by definition (thou shall
> not touch the message body...)? Would it then be an ultimate receiver
> who just so happened to relay the contained infoset to another SOAP
> processor?
>
> - I think functional and optimizing is a different dimension than
> forwarding and active. This categorization was harvested from a
> source that predated SOAP 1.2 spec. I think our text can better
> support both categorizations and dig into clarifying the space with
> some examples. The WSA editors have an AI to do this.

OK. I think it would be worth indicating you are using a different
dimension, so as to clearly show the differentiation from SOAP.

> - I will have to revisit my notes on store/forward, partial
> messaging, and aggregation. I had thought that these were not
> gateways, but I shall have to do some extra research before
> re-establishing a position. I agree that orchestrator is a gateway
> pattern rather than an intermediary.

OK.

> - Note: I wonder if it would add value to the arch spec if it also
> iterated these valid system patterns even though they are strictly
> not SOAP intermediaries? I think no is a valid answer here, but it
> would be helpful to our audience to describe common system
> architectural patterns used in the deployment of web services
> (gateways, proxies, composing gateways, workflow). Anyways, this
> feels like valuable system arch work.

Yes, I think it does add value, as long as we can clearly separate SOAP
type intermediaries from other types of intermediaries or gateways.

> - SOAP 1.2 says: "While SOAP does not itself define any routing or
> forwarding semantics, it is anticipated that such functionality can
> be described as one or more SOAP features". Question: has the WSD
> group discussed how these features could be described by WSDL?

The WSDL 1.2 spec now has syntax for describing (SOAP) features. The
syntax simply consist in writing down the URI of the feature that is
supported or required by the service.

 > Is
> WS-Routing the only attempt at defining explicit routing or
> forwarding semantics? It seems like WS-Addressing does define 'next
> hop' forwarding semantics, but that is all. Maybe that is all that is
> needed.

My understanding is that WS-Addressing is essentially a URI with
additional (meta-) data. In itself, I don't think it allows describing
complete SOAP message path, as WS-Routing did.