Draft TAG finding on extensibility/versioning

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:02:15 -0700
To: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Hi all,

Thought I'd forward this to show what my thoughts are on extensibility and
versioning.  The TAG has not approved this at all, so it may change
dramatically, though there has been 1 round of light tag review.  I
encourage you to read and comment (to www-tag or privately..)

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning.html

I think it should be obvious that I think that any discussion on web
services architecture should be about web services specific aspects of
extensibility and versioning.  Such as:
- Web services is a data format, therefore web services should use the must
ignore all rule
- Web services is an open system, therefore web services should use
wildcards for extensibility given the no-touch possibilities.
- Web services specifications can be evaluated against whether they support
extensibility and/or compatible changes.
- Web services use XML Schema, therefore the section on XML schema applies.

I still really like uml models btw.

Cheers,
Dave