RE: Proposed text on 'SOA' (resend)

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:59:42 +0100
To: "'He, Hao'" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>, "'Savas Parastatidis'" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Hao:

> <hh>I think that I agree with you. The only dispute here is
> whether to call an interaction involving tokens stateful or
> stateless. Personally, I don't mind either way apart from the
> need of differentiating them. </hh>

Is it the case that the state issue is only resolvable within the scope of a
particular application?

If I'm sitting next to the wire watching messages fly past, then I can't
actually tell whether the entities exchanging such messages are maintaining
state or not even if there are "state tokens" in that message. This I think
is Savas' key simplification - Web Services exchange messages, and anything
over and above that assertion is dangerously close to being at the
application level.

This also seems to dovetail nicely with mechanisms for state management (eg,
WS-Context, WS-Coordination) which are deployed to support particular
applications.

Jim