RE: Proposed text on 'SOA' (resend)

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:45:48 +0100
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Martin Chapman" <martin.chapman@oracle.com>, "He, Hao" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>, "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>

[snip]

> I also want to make sure that the web services architecture does not
> "value"
> stateless web services higher than stateful web services.  I
personally
> think that much of the web is built upon stateful retrievals, where
things
> like cookie variables are used to determine the service identifier.
Some
> will claim that stateless services are necessary to be higher
performance
> than stateful services, but that is simply architecturally incorrect.
> After
> much discussion and learning about how my company builds products and
> looking at the characteristics of the typical interactions of web vs
web
> services, I will vehemently argue against any prevailing wisdom that
says
> stateless is by definition better than stateful.

I also hope that the WSA document does not take preference between
stateleness and statefulness. However, given the definition of a service
as a stateless entity, it should make it clear that the latter is
achieved through additional protocols. It should treat and discuss the
existence of these additional protocols in the same manner it discusses
other features of the architecture like transactions, choreography,
security, management, etc.

Regards,
.savas.