RE: Proposed text on 'SOA' (resend)

When you say "same" web service, do you mean the same type or the same
instance?

I would say the equality function for stateless web service, ie same type of
web service, is a combination of the interface and endpoint address.  The
equality function for stateful web service, ie the instance, adds on service
specific parameters (aka ws addressing reference properties).

I think the best way to differentiate stateful and stateless web services is
what is used to determine equivalence of the service identifiers.

I also want to make sure that the web services architecture does not "value"
stateless web services higher than stateful web services.  I personally
think that much of the web is built upon stateful retrievals, where things
like cookie variables are used to determine the service identifier.  Some
will claim that stateless services are necessary to be higher performance
than stateful services, but that is simply architecturally incorrect.  After
much discussion and learning about how my company builds products and
looking at the characteristics of the typical interactions of web vs web
services, I will vehemently argue against any prevailing wisdom that says
stateless is by definition better than stateful.

Cheers,
Dave