Spec List

From: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:53:44 -0600
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

I think that XrML 2.0 should be added to the spec list.
http://www.xrml.org/index.asp.  This spec covers digital rights
management, and as far as I can see it has achieved fairly wide
adoption.  It is interesting that this is an entirely proprietary spec,
with wide patent rights claimed by the source, ContentGuard,
http://www.contentguard.com/.  Nonetheless, as far as I can see it is
plausibly achieving the status of a de facto standard.

I have also found that my description of SPML (which I admitted I didn't
understand_ was wildly off the mark.  It would be a kindness if someone
would provide a simple, two sentence description of what SPML is for
and, if possible, whether there is anything else in that space.  I note
that SMPL seems to be about to be ratified by OASIS and, as far as I can
tell, it is not particularly controversial.  (Or maybe nobody cares
because there is something else more popular in that space ???)