Re: Message adressing, intermediaries, and their description

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:20:53 -0400
To: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi Hugo,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:38:22AM -0400, Hugo Haas wrote:
> Mismatch between our document and SOAP 1.2:
>
> - Our documents says that a message envelope contains address
>   information to deliver the message.

Do you have a reference?  I can't find it.

Does it say SOAP envelope, or "message envelope"?  Because I'd agree
with the latter, but disagree with the former.

> - A SOAP message, and therefore a SOAP envelope, does not contain such
>   information. It assumes that this information is known, either out
>   of band, or using an extension.

I disagree, but probably because we have different interpretations of
the definition of a "SOAP message" (you might recall some of the
discussion[1] on xml-dist-app earlier this year).  The definition reads;

"The basic unit of communication between SOAP nodes."

Personally, I believe this suffices because what is communicated between
any two SOAP nodes is more than a SOAP envelope, it's also the envelope
of the underlying protocol(s).  As an example, the HTTP URI to which a
SOAP message is POSTed is part of the unit of communication.  But as
Noah points out in his initial message, there's at least one use of the
term of the spec that appears inconsistent with this interpretation.

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2003Feb/thread.html#5

Mark.