Re: Myth of Loose coupling

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:36:56 -0400
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: "He, Hao" <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:38:19PM -0400, David Orchard wrote:
> If everybody grokked
> the same version of a purchase order, we might be able to deploy purchase
> order clients as widely as web browsers.  But I can't really see that
> happening.

Exactly.  The network effects are relatively weak due to the specific
nature of a data format dedicated to describing purchase orders.

Generating the massive network effects you see with HTML, but for
machine-to-machine integration, requires automata to be able to extract
information from document formats that they don't recognize in their
entirety.  This is commonly referred to as "partial understanding";

http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-webarch-extlang#Requirements

Mark.