services and roles

From: Francis McCabe <fgm@fla.fujitsu.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:19:13 -0800
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
I am noodling on services again.

The following diagram is intended to capture a particular view of
services: the factoring of messages into different aspects (potentially
represented by different headers) and different roles that combine into
a single service.

It seems to me that the concept of a role is the key analog of headers,
for services. I don't much like abusing the word; but the essence is
(to me) that a service role represents a stakeholder in the processing
of a message. Different aspects of a message might be represented with
SOAP headers; (or combinations of them or some other property).

Thoughts? Anyone listening?
Frank

servicerole.png
(image/png attachment: servicerole.png)