Re: Issues to think about in the MOM

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:51:58 -0500
To: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:50:49AM -0800, Ugo Corda wrote:
> > Yes, I agree, but that address isn't part of the message.
>
> Could you please clarify which types of addresses are part of a message and which ones are not? Given the following list of possible intermediary addressing mechanisms, which ones of the associated addresses do you think are part of the message:
>
> 1. IP address interception (e.g., "transparent proxies")

Not part of the message.

> 2. DNS address interception/redirection (e.g., Akamai, "virtual hosting")

Not part of the message.

> 3. HTTP proxy configuration (and autoconfiguration...)

Part of the message.

> 4. IP routing interception (e.g., firewalls)

You mean NAT?  If so, not part of the message.

If not NAT, then it is part of the message.

> 5. HTTP redirection (Status code 30x)

Well, that's not technically an intermediary scenario, as the redirect
is a result of the message reaching the ultimate receiver.  But the URI
of the resource producing the redirect is part of the message, if that's
what you mean.

> 6. SOAP routing / redirection  (e.g., WS-Routing, WS-Addressing)

Part of the message.

> 7. WSDL-based extensions
> 8. Using application-specific semantics

Don't know what you mean.