RE: hasa in UML

OK by me.  And the current usage in the document is OK by me.  Both seem
clear and usable to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 7:42 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: hasa in UML

I agree, good grief! indeed. This is sounding like Bill Clinton's
deposition... "it depends upon
what the definition of is is."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=have

See the first two definitions. I think that they will do just fine. I
really don't think that
we have to define Dick and Jane terms for our readers, but if some
insist,
then let's
use REAL definitions please? I would rather we not become employees of
the
Research
Department of the Ministry of Truth developing the Eleventh Edition of
the
Newspeak
Dictionary.

The concepts in the architecture seem to me to have two relationships
that
roughly
correspond to the first two forms of the definition of "have"; the first

is a possessive
relationship of a property such as in "X has a property Y"  and the
second
is an
associative relarionship as in "X has an association with Z".

In UML, these are modeled separately, with objects having associations
with
other objects and objects having properties. Why don't we simply use the

same
concepts to model our architecture?

In our architecture, we could have separate subsections for each type of
*has a*. For instance:

Service

        Associations:
                a service has a description

        Properties:
                a service has an identifier

Of course, in UML, you can assign names to the associations at each end
of the association. e.g. "a service is described by a description" and
"a description describes a service". Maybe we might want to do that, I
don't know (couldn't hurt)... it might actually be useful so that
we
could use the terms and their named associations in the prose of the
architecture (and elsewhere) so that we could be somewhat certain that
we are being as clear as possible in what we mean.

Granted, I am not the worlds foremost authority on UML. Indeed, I have
probably
just unloaded my complete knowledge of UML ;-P However, I would like to
propose that we adopt the proposal above and move on. This discussion is
leading us nowhere.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com