RE: Separate concepts for "service" and "targetResource?" (was RE : /service/@targetResource ?)

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:29:36 -0700
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

>Sitting on top of the "turtle" is an agent that understands its internal
>semantics, APIs, data formats, etc. and can implement specific web services
>interfaces.  This is (I think) what the targetResource URI identifies.  It's
>also (more or less, and in my opinion) what we call "service" in the recent
>public working draft.

That's not my reading of the working draft. My understanding is that the WSD proposal is for a "service" to have an attribute that points to a URI. This URI identifies something other than the "service" itself. Also I thought that everybody pretty much agrees that an agent is different than a WSD service.

>So, I think that addressed Ugo's concern: the agent *is* the WSDL
>targetResource, and had a URI.  All sorts of resources *could* exist behind
>the agent, but all a Web service requester sees is the agent.

My understanding of an agent is that it is a piece of code. Again, if I replace that piece of code with another because of any reason, do I get a different URI? And why should the service care (assuming the semantics remain the same)?

Ugo