From: Walden Mathews [mailto:waldenm@optonline.net]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 8:09 AM
To: Newcomer, Eric; edwink@collaxa.com; Baker, Mark; Cutler, Roger
(RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web services are widely adopted ???

> I am also not opposed to compromise, but compromise requires each side to
accept the validity of the other's view, and I had not been seeing that
acceptance in many of the emails going back and forth, basically making the
same arguments as have been made for three years, and then stating that the
other side doesn't accept them because of a lack of understanding.  That is
just wrong and completely unhelpful to the WG's goals.

Eric,

Is there a polite way to assert that many still don't understand
REST very well?  It's too bad there isn't a 100-question quiz
for people to test their understanding, huh.  Personally, I think
my understanding sucks (too little experience), but I can identify
regular problems with this group around the following:

What is an architectural constraint?
Characterize at least two different kinds of application state.
(T or F) The best distributed applications are "stateless".
What is an "engine of application state"?
What is it about hypertext that relates to state engines?
Compare/contrast *idempotent* and *safe*.
What does the Fielding thesis say about idempotent methods?
What's wrong with PUT?
What are the REST "verbs" (trick question)?
(T or F) Adopting resource orientation means rewriting legacy apps.
(T or F) Data encoded in XML are "visible" because XML is a standard.

Need 89 more questions...

--Walden