Re: Normative constraints on the WSA

Walden,

You said:

> I'm not saying you're wrong here; you've been around it way longer
> than me, but I had the strong impression that EVERYONE at this
> point felt that RPC was dead as the principal pattern of Web Services.
> Recently I asked Chris Ferris whether some WSA language ought to
> include reference to RPC, and the anwer was 'no', for example.

I'd be very interested to know when/where I said that WSA should not
include
reference to RPC. Maybe in a specific context within the document, but not
as a
generalization.

Certainly, I would agree that a message- rather than procedure-oriented
approach is superior ;-), but I don't believe that I ever suggested that
WSA not
accomodate its application. I think that despite the short-comings of
RPC-oriented
systems, they'll be around for a long time to come.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

www-ws-arch-request@w3.org wrote on 05/18/2003 12:57:55 PM:

> > This current generation of Web services technology uses (abuses?) the
Web.
> > But it is NOT the Web. It is RPC-oriented middleware -- it is
> > service-centric rather than resource-centric. It's about verbs rather
than
> > nouns. If I recall correctly, the folks that originally came together
in
> > April 2001 to talk about Web services and that recommended the
immediate
> > formation of this group weren't even thinking about REST at the time.
We