RE: Magic

From: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 11:24:45 +0100
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

Mark:

> I like my lightbulb example.  It's worked on two previous
> occasions to give folks epiphanies;
>
> GET on a URI returns "0" or "1" depending on the state of the
> bulb. PUT on that same URI with "0" turns the bulb off, "1"
> turns it on.

This is a useful example, but I have to ask how I tell a lightbulb service
from something else. In the SOAP and WSDL view of the world, I can tell
where another service doesn't have the same interface as a lightbulb
service. Although I admit that I cannot understand how to use it without a
priori knowledge of its semantics (just like with the REST approach).

Again, I would still like to see the code for this. While the interface
level sounds slightly lighter weight (assuming HTTP where you would use 1
GET and 1 POST versus my 2 POSTs), how does the implementation of this
service compare to the SOA version? How would it be maintained over time?

So, time to put up? :-)

Jim