RE: Announce: WS-Callback, WS-MessageData, and WS-Acknowledgement specifications

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:46:49 -0700
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>, "Omprakash Bachu " <omprakash.bachu@mphasis.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> I would agree that in the common -- to many on this list, but definitely NOT
> the audience of enterprise-level systems integrations -- case of simple
> HTTP-based apps over the Web do not necessarily get profound benefit from
> the reliability extensions to SOAP

Well, reliability goes beyond acknowledgement. In the HTTP case, I can tell if my request/response failed if I don't receive a response within the HTTP timeout time. But what if the HTTP receiver got the message but simply was not able to respond? If the request is not idempotent (e.g. increase a bank account by $1000), I cannot just resend the original request without worrying about "once and only once" semantics.

So HTTP itself needs something more for reliability, and that's why in the past things like HTTP-R were defined.

Ugo