Re: REST, uniformity and semantics

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 10:00  AM, Walden Mathews wrote:

>>> "REST is really a semantic issue"
>>
>> This is shorthand for: the REST constraints represent constraints on
>> the semantics of message delivery.
>
> The context was a little choppy, granted, but my objections
> remain.  You either mean
>
>     (1) that REST imposes meaning on message exchange, or
>     (2) every REST constraint is about the elevation of meaning
>     [(3) I don't know what you mean, and my head hurts]
>
> My counter to (1) is that constraint lending meaning (at least
> in someone's eyes) is a universal concept, not specific to REST

True, but REST imposes particular constraints; not constraints in some
vague sense. Sure, constraints lend meaning is a fairly universal human
approach to making sense of the world.

The particular constraints that REST imposes include enclosing a
representation of state, and the use of particular verbs with
particular meaning.

The stateless server constraint has a lot to do with interpreting the
message: the server is not *supposed* to take into account any state
information not present in the message. That is squarely a level 2
constraint and it has a lot to do with conveying meaning.

Frank