Re: REST, uniformity and semantics

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:55:39 -0400
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:42:38AM -0700, Francis McCabe wrote:
> The real message is this: (IMO) the real relationship between
> messaging, Web services, REST etc. is the increasing amount of semantic
> commitment being made.

FWIW, I think that's a useful characterization(*), but I disagree with
your earlier statement that IM and email are level 0; they are level
2, as they both deal in transfer, not transport.  i.e. an IM client and
IM server have to agree on an application interface, not just a means of
sending bits across a wire.

Also FWIW, the Web has special status amoungst level 2 systems, as it
is capable of engulfing all others.

(*) curiously, it also synchs up very well with the IETF and OSI stack
models; level 0 = transport, level 1 = session/presentation, level 2 =
application.

  Actively seeking contract work or employment