RE: Tim Bray on REST and Web services

From: Jeffrey Winter <JeffreyWinter@crd.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:38:54 -0400
To: "Ugo Corda" <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>, "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

.. UC --- This shows that using the REST approach is not always
.. that straightforward and free of side effects (even in Tim's
.. mind). We should at least understand that many programmers
.. (who many times are not even close to Tim's level of
.. experience) would probably find that the easiest way out in
.. this case is to define a WS endpoint as a URL which does not
.. contain the "appkey" info, and then do a POST passing the
.. appkey as an input parameter.

This same subject was discussed quite heavily on rest-discuss
about a year ago if I recall.  Paul Prescod captured the
issues very well here[1].  Sam Ruby's original post is now here[2].

[1] http://www.blogstream.com/pauls/1031155140/index_html.
[2] http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/784.html