Re: Proposed text for section 1.6.2 and 1.6.3

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 17:42:27 -0400
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

> I'm struggling with the idea that an API SOA would invoke some code that
> causes the books to be shipped, and a REST SOA would manipulate an
> information resource that a human or software agent could interpret as a
> request to ship the books.  I admit that this distinction is a bit
> metaphysical ... but so is much of the "REST SOA vs API SOA" discussion
:-)
> Perhaps just saying it this way is clearer than what I had drafted.  I do
> NOT want to perpetuate the "REST is only for humans" misconception, I
assure
> you!

Then you should also avoid the "REST is only for documents" misconception,
too.

Unless you want to get really profound and consider that it's "documents
all the way down", even in robotics, up to the point where software writes
a byte to an i/o port or register.  You could even call that a mini
document,
and that would only be poetic, not metaphysical.

--Walden