RE: Draft language on MEPs, synchronous, and asynchronous.

From: Hal Lockhart <hlockhar@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:00:57 -0400
To: "Assaf Arkin" <arkin@intalio.com>, "Geoff Arnold" <Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM>
Cc: "Damodaran, Suresh" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com>, "'Champion, Mike'" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> I think the One True meaning for synch is "at the same time".

I can't resist putting my oar in. This comment is correct, but you will not
make any progress until you answer the question: At the same time as what?

It is possible to distinguish (at least) two forms of synchronous
communications.

1. Synchronous with respect to responses on the same logical channel.

2. Synchronous with respect to non-communications processing. (AKA blocking)

Hal