Re: WS, SOA, and the Web

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 01:07:43 -0400
To: "Newcomer, Eric" <Eric.Newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Hi Eric,

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 06:18:59PM -0400, Newcomer, Eric wrote:
> Actually I think we are in danger of losing the distinction between architecture as a practice and its application.  REST is an application of architecture, therefore constraints and properties are central.  However, architecture is more generally a study of relationships, and since we are not prescribing the application of Web services architecture, it is a mistake to begin with constraints when we need to begin with the definition of the relationships.

But "constraints" are constraints on relationships;

"A software architecture is defined by a configuration of architectural
elements--components, connectors, and data--constrained in their
relationships in order to achieve a desired set of architectural
properties."
 -- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/software_arch.htm#sec_1_2

It seems we're in agreement.