Re: Discussion topic for tomorrow's call

Hi,

The picture looks good!
 From my point of view such a REC normative WSA stack diagram would be
very useful.

I have only one concern with the placement of XSD. Should we really
stack XSD above SOAP even when keeping in mind that SOAP's syntactic XML
representation is described using XSD. This would justify to place SOAP
on top of XSD.

Furthermore, we should perhaps consider to split the SOAP layer into
SOAP base and SOAP extensions like sessions etc. which could be defined
using SOAP's header mechanisms on top of the basis.

I attached a first draft illustrating my idea.

Cheers,
  Mario

Newcomer, Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on organizing principles for the document content, in
> addition to the refactoring work we've been doing.  One of the ideas
> that's been debated recently seems to make a lot of sense -- treating
> Web services as applications of XML.  Focusing on the applications of
> XML (i.e. SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, etc.) and not on the execution environment
> (which is vendor specific) allows us to avoid some of the more
> complicated issues around how Web services are executed, and concentrate
> instead on describing how the XML applications work together and relate
> to each other.
>
> Web services are not executable things per se, they are applications of
> XML that are transformed and/or mapped to executable things.  Adopting
> this principle may help organize the technical material better.  Anyway,
> this is a topic for discussion during the call tomorrow.
>
> I've attached a draft of a stack diagram for the same purpose, to try to
> visually depict the major topic areas that we need to address.  This
> also suggests that we need to create major document sections for these
> topics.
>
> During the editors' call today we discussed the following major
> sections, and solicited volunteers for creating them:
>
> -- Introduction (David Booth)
> -- Concepts and Relationships (Frank)
> -- Messaging
> -- Management (Heather)
> -- Security (Abbie)
> -- Discovery (David Booth)
> -- Description/Orchestration/Choreography
>
> Let's talk about this tomorrow, see if there are volunteers for other
> sections, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
> Eric Newcomer
> Chief Technology Officer
> eric.newcomer@iona.com <mailto:eric.newcomer@iona.com>
> IONA Technologies
> 200 West Street Waltham, MA 02451 USA
> Tel: (781) 902-8366
> Fax: (781) 902-8009
> */Making Software Work Together/* TM

Prof. Mario Jeckle
University of Applied Sciences Furtwangen
Dept. Business Applications of Computer Science
W3C Representative for DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology

MailTo:mario@jeckle.de
MailTo:jeckle@fh-furtwangen.de

My public key: http://www.jeckle.de/marioJeckle.pgp