Re: Synchronous?

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:05:38 -0500
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

Synchronous?Hi,

A quick look through the architecture document shows "synchronous"
and "asynchronous" being used as follows:

I.  To mean that sender and receiver have to be active "at the same
     time."
    - 3.2.1.7 Long Running Transactions
    - 4.2 XML Messaging with SOAP

II. To mean that request and response may not be sent on the same
    "channel".
    - 3.2.1 Features (Correlation)
    - 3.2.1 Features (correclation) (again)

III. In ways not made clear by context.
    - 3.1.3 Operations
    - 4.2 XML Messaging with SOAP
    - C Bottom Up View of the Architecure*
    - E.2 ebXML

* This one seems to use "asynchronous" to describe a messaging
   event in temporal isolation, which is a design view rather than a
   runtime view.

If the authors could clarify the intended meanings for group III, that
might help.

Also, is it possible to layer "different channel" on top of "active at
same time" or vice versa, in order to build up a consistent definition
in levels?

I suppose I could have extended this analysis to the scenarios
document as well, but first: is it useful?

Cheers,

Walden